Home 

Messages Email List Subscribe Reunions Club Shop Archives Obituaries Contacts us About us

Year - 2011  Volume 21

Squadron Sergeant Major - Tom Parnell

(the Pied Piper of the 10th Royal Hussar PWO)

Due to war activities in 1942 the Lipizzaner horses of the studs of Demir Kapja (Macedonia), Stancic (Croatia), Lipizza (Italy) and Piber (Austria) were evacuated to Hostau. Additionally Lipizzaner mares were transferred, too, who had been purchased by the Countess Eltz (Haid) and Vukovar (Croatia). The whole population of the Lipizzaner horses existed of 15 stallions, 150 mares and 200 foals of all ages except Lipizzaners from Babolna (Hungary), Topoltschianky (Slovakia) and Fogaras (Transylvania) the whole Lipizzaner breeding material of the world was present at Hostau. In the last months of the war, in 1945, 200 horses from Don and the Caucasus found a new home in Hostau and on the farmyards of the stud.
Regarding the whole Lipizzaner breeding, the first task of the stud in Hostau during the Second World War was to breed stallions for the Imperial Spanish Riding School in Vienna. In the last war days several projectiles hit the neighborhood of Hostau, and the collapse of the Reich was soon to come, the stud under control of Lieutenant Colonel Hubert Rudofsky decided to get in touch with American troops in order to protect the town and stud against destruction. By a daring act of the veterinarians, Dr. Rudolf Lessing and Dr. Wolfgang Kroll, the entire stud material without any losses could be handed over to the armour division, which was marching in afterwards closely. On May 15th, 1945 the transport of all Lipizzaner horses and Arabs took place across the Bohemian Forest to Kötzing in Bavaria, in order to be returned to their home studs.

 

Last Update:

Click for next page 1 of